Dr. Alice Masaryková (1879–1966), elder daughter of the first president of Czechoslovakia Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk (TGM), played a major role in creating Prague Castle’s art collection. After her mother died in 1923 she assumed the role of First Lady, being at her father’s side when travelling abroad and when welcoming distinguished guests to Prague Castle. TGM wanted at the same time to remind visitors to Prague Castle symbolically of the traditionally high standard of Czech culture. It was on his instigation that the Office of the President began to purchase works by Czech artists, previously on the whole lacking in the Castle. Alice gave her opinion and recommended the purchase of specific paintings. Moreover, she donated to the new collection several works by friends of the family, the painters Hanuš Schwaiger and Maxmilián Pirner. The general public knew Alice Masaryková as Chairwoman of the newly founded Czechoslovak Red Cross and as a great supporter of social welfare in the Czech Lands. This was the reason that people who found themselves in need often turned to the president’s daughter. There were women artists among them such as Anna Macková and Marie Vořechová-Vejvodová. By purchasing a work by Otakar Lebeda, Alice helped the widow of the history professor Jaroslav Goll. Thanks to the support of Alice Masaryková, the Castle succeeded in acquiring many fine works in the Czech visual arts of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.